2019, no.1. Refat Abduzhemilev
The national symbols in the publications of O. Akchokrakly
(comments on the article “The matter of the Flag”)
(Research Institute of the Crimean Tatar philology, history and culture of ethnic groups of the Crimea
in SBEEHE RC «Crimean Engineering and Pedagogical University»;
Crimean Scientific Center of Sh. Marjani Institute of History of Tatarstan Academy of Sciences)
Abstract: the article offers the Russian translation of the publication by the Crimean Tatar scientist and writer O. Akchokrakly (1878–1938) entitled “Bayrak Meselesi” (“The matter of the Flag”) from No. 108 of the “Millet” newspaper in 1917. The preface contains a summary of the translated work: the choice of the colour of the Tatar flag by Muslim Military Council, the blue colour of the ancient Turks, the display of Islamic colours on the flag, tarak-tamga and dragons as attributes of the flag. In the historical survey the stages in the use of the official state symbols by the Crimean Tatars are traced: horsetail (bunchuk) in the Golden Horde, standards and horsetails in the Crimean Khanate, the Muslim sanjak (standard), the flag during the Crimean People’s Republic in the time of the Second Kurultay. The considerable attention is paid to the colour symbolism on the standards. In the article were also noted the fragments from the Crimean Tatar chronicles “Tarikh-i Sahib Geray Khan”, “Tarikh-i Islam Geray Khan”, “Tarikh-i Mehmed Geray”, in the descriptions of which horsetail and sanjak had taken place.
Keywords: Akchokrakly Osman, horsetail (bunchuk), sanjak (standard), Crimean Tatars, Crimean Khanate, flag, colour.
For citation: Abduzhemilev R. R. The national symbols in the publications of O. Akchokrakly (comments on the article “The matter of the Flag”). Krymskoe istoricheskoe obozrenie=Crimean Historical Review. 2019, no. 1, pp.135-146. DOI: 10.22378/kio.2019.1.135-146
- Abduzhemilev R. R. Voinskaya simvolika Krymskogo khanstva (na materiale krymskikh khronik) [The military symbols of the Crimean Khanate (on the material of the Crimean chronicles)]. Qasevet [Concern], Simferopol, 2015, no 43, pp. 5–17.
- Bogush S. Istoriya o Tavrii [The history of Tavria]. SPB. : v tipogr. Shnora [in the printing-house of Shnor], 1806, 442 p.
- Bunegin M. F. Revolutsiya i grazhdanskaya voyna v Krymu (1917–1920 gg.) [The revolution and the Civil War in the Crimea (1917–1920)]. Simferopol: Krymgosizdat [Crimean State Publishing house], 1927, 336 p.
- Voyennyy entsiklopedichskiy leksikon, izdavayemyy obshchestvom voyennykh i literatorov [The military encyclopedic lexicon, published by the society of the military men and writers]. SPb.: V tipogr. shtaba voyenno-uchebnych zavedeniy [In the publishing house of the headquarters of military schools], 1853, 2nd edition, v. 2, 632 p.
- Ocherki Rossii, izdavayemyye V. Passekom [Sketches of Russia, published by V. Passek]. Мoscow: V tipogr. N. Stepanova [In the publishing house of N. Stepanov], 1840, Book 2, 216 p.
- Senai M. Kniga pokhodov. Istoriya khana Islam Giraya Tretyego / pod red. К. Kongurata (Useinova) [Book of expeditions. The history of khan Islam Giray III / ed. by K. Kongurat (Useinov)]. Simferopol: Krymuchpedgiz [Crimean educational and pedagogical publishing house], 1998, 72 p.
- Turanly F. Litopysni tvory M. Senayi ta G. Sultana yak istorychni jerela [Annalistic works by M. Senayi and H. Sultan as historical sources]. Кyiv, 2000, 311 p.
- Tarih-i Sahib Giray Han (Histoire de Sahib Giray, Khan de Crimee de 1532 a 1551): Edition Critique, Traduction, Notes et Glossaire / Neşr. Ö. Gökbilgin [Tarikh-i Sahib Giray Khan (The story of Sahib Giray, Khan of the Crimea from 1532 to 1551): Critical edition, Translation, Notes and Glossary / ed. Ö. Gökbilgin]. Ankara: Baylan Matbaası [Baylan Printing House], 1973, 313 p.
- Flag krymskikh tatar. Istoricheskaya spravka [The flag of the Crimean Tatars. The historical information] [Electronic resource]. Access mode: https://avdet.org/ru/2015/06/01/flag-krymskih-tatar-istoricheskaya-spravka/.
- Osmanlı sancaklarının añlamı [The notion about Ottoman sanjaks] [Electronic resource]. Access mode: http://gururumuz.blogcu.com/osmanli-sancaklarinin-anlami/7296918.
- Yeşil sancak [Green snjak] [Electronic resource]. Access mode: http://tr.yenisehir.wikia.com/wiki/Yeşil_sancak.
About the author and translator: Abduzhemilev Refat Rustem ogly – Cand. Sci. (philology), senior researcher of the Research Institute of the Crimean Tatar philology, history and culture of ethnic groups of the Crimea in SBEEHE RC «Crimean Engineering and Pedagogical University» (8, Uchebnyi lane, Simferopol 295015, Crimea, Russian Federation); senior researcher of the Crimean Scientific Center of Sh. Marjani Institute of History of Tatarstan Academy of Sciences (420111, Kazan, Baturin St., 7A, Russian Federation); firstname.lastname@example.org