2020. no.1. Liliya Gabdrafikova
The image of Ismail Gasprinsky in everyday perception of Volga Tatars (late 19th – early 20th century)
(Sh. Marjani Institute of History of Tatarstan Academy of Sciences)
Abstract. This article examines the role of the newspaper “Terdzhiman” and of its publisher Ismail Gasprinskiy in everyday life of the Volga Tatars.The Crimean Tatar educator was famous like a popularizer of the new teaching method, he created a unique media channel and he has made the Ottoman variation of European culture popular among the Tatars, he propounded the modernization of different aspects of everyday life. The Muslim identity of Ismail Gasprinsky, his personal achievements and European image reinforced the influence of the ideas he promoted. He was an idol for Tatar youth. Therefore, the publisher of the newspaper “Terdzhiman” has become a symbol of the national progress. At the beginning of the 20th century Tatar businessmen and intellectuals began to use the image of Gasprinsky in promotional products, in the education and trade. However different generations of Tatar intellectuals evaluated personality of Gasprinsky in their own way: in addition to the approval of his educational work, some criticism of his ideas and motives coexisted. This confrontation intensifies after 1905, when other Tatar newspapers and magazines appeared. But the figure of Gasprinsky was legendary, and even after death he remained the main symbol of Tatar education.
Keywords: I. Gasprinsky, everyday life of the Tatars, urban culture, Jadidism.
For citacion: Gabdrafikova L. R. The image of Ismail Gasprinsky in everyday perception of Volga Tatars (late 19th – early 20th century). Krymskoe istoricheskoe obozrenie=Crimean Historical Riview. 2020, no. 1, pp. 8–18. DOI: 10.22378/kio.2020.1.8-18
- Bertugan Bubyjlar һәm Iҗ-Bubyj mәdrәsәse. [Bubi brothers and the Izh-Bubi madrassa] Historical and Documentary Collection. Kazan: Ruhijat publ., 1999. 240 p.
- Validi Dzh. Ocherk istorii obrazovannosti i literatury tatar [Essay on the history of education and literature of the Tatars]. Kazan: Iman publ., 1998. 157 p.
- The State Archive of the Republic of Tatarstan (GA RT). F. 1. Op. 4. D. 4240. L. 24–34.
- GA RT. F. 199. Op. 1. D. 1112. L. 3.
- GA RT. F. 92. Op. 2. D. 23517. L. 8-8ob.
- Gatin A. A. Fatih Karimi: pedagogicheskaja i obshhestvenno-politicheskaja dejatel’nost’ [Fatih Karimi: pedagogical and socio-political activities]. The dissertation of a candidate of historical sciences. Kazan, 2008. 370 p.
- Gubajdullin G. Gasprinskij i jazyk. In Ismail Gasprinskij [Ismail Gasprinsky]. Historical and Documentary Collection/ edit. S. Rahimov. Kazan: Zhyen publ., 2006. P. 261–332.
- Ismail Gasprinskij [Ismail Gasprinsky]. Historical and Documentary Collection/ edit. S. Rahimov. Kazan: Zhyen publ., 2006. 544 p.
- Ishakyj G. Әsәrlәr [Artworks]. Vol. 6. Kazan: Tatar book publishing house, 2005. 447 p.
- Karimi F. Pokojnyj Gil’man ahun. In Fatyjh Kәrimi [Fatih Karimi]: Scientific and biographical collection. Kazan: Ruhijat publ., 2000. P. 112–133.
- Museum of National Culture NKC «Kazan», KP OF-10489.
- Tairov N. I. Akchuriny [Akchurins]. Kazan: Tatar book publishing house, 2002. 160 p.
- Tatar mәgirifәtchelek әdәbijaty (1860–1905) [Tatar educational literature. (1860–1905)]. Anthology. Kazan: Tatar book publishing house, 1979. 416 p.
- Tukaj G. Әsәrlәr [Artworks]. Vol. 3. Kazan: Tatar book publishing house, 1985. 390 p.
- Tukaj G. Әsәrlәr [Artworks]. Vol. 4. Kazan: Tatar book publishing house, 1985. 350 p.
- Habutdinov A. Ju. Formirovanie nacii i osnovnye napravlenija razvitija tatarskogo obshhestva v konce XVIII – nachale XX vekov [The formation of the nation and the main directions of development of Tatar society in the late 19th – early 20th centuries]. Kazan, 2001. 384 p.
- Hronika prebyvanija byvshego tureckogo velikogo vizirja Hil’mi-pashi v g. Kazani 15–17 aprelja 1910 g. [Chronicle of the stay of the Ex Turkish Grand Vizier Hilmi Pasha in Kazan, April 15–17, 1910]. In Gasyrlar avazy. 1998. No. 1/2. P. 166–177.
- Shәrәf Z. Fatyjh Kәrimi In Fatyjh Kәrimi [Fatih Karimi]: Scientific and biographical collection. Kazan: Ruhijat publ., 2000. P. 74–111.
About the author: Gabdrafikova Liliya R. – Dr. of Sci. (History), Chief Research Fellow, Sh. Marjani Institute of History of Tatarstan Academy of Sciences (420111, Kazan, Baturin St., 7A, Russian Federation); firstname.lastname@example.org